On September 13, 2020, Archaeological Museum of Chania closed its gates to the public.
The long journey begins in 1899, when the Hegemonic Council of the Cretan State votes its founding; on July 14, 1962, after many adventures, it officially opens its gates to the public in the catholic of the Venetian Monastery of St. Francis; the journey is finally ending in 2021, in its permanent home, at Halepa place.
For almost sixty years, located in the heart of the old city of Chania, was the ark that preserved and displayed the archaeological wealth of the land of Chania, offering knowledge, aesthetic pleasure, education and valuable experiences to thousands of visitors and scientists from Greece and around the world.
Leaving the hospitable katholikon of St. Francis, all antiquities will meet the public in 2021 in a new, equally hospitable place, the new Archaeological Museum of Chania at Halepa. The rich collections of the new Museum, that structured according to the spirit and requirements of the modern museum practices, will continue to channel into the new conditions of the multidimensionality, evolving their strong cultural message into Greek and international community.